Monday, 17 March 2008

Special Collections Procedure

Thanks to Julie's flash of inspiration - I think we have this one nailed. Ive emailed the document but do please use the Blog to discuss. As always we have a fortnight to think and respond.

Ill post on here, with permaission, any emailed responses I get.

H

5 comments:

Neffers said...

Very clear and precise policy document. (Why can't we have more like this??)

I'd like to comment on the following sections:

3.2 Given current staff constraints, can we not limit appointments (and consequently supervision) to 2 hours? I certainly wouldn't like to sit in the SC for 3 hours and with holiday time looming this may become a reality if we let people have such long appointments. Can we not saying something like, 'hourly appointments are offered on a bookable basis. If you require a longer time slot than this, this must be arranged in advance'.

4.3 As we all have access to Talis Alto (and given the location of the SC) is there any reason why we couldn't issue the items from Room 220?

Just some thoughts for you to consider......

Nerthus said...

Julie said "I think 3hr slots are too long-I prefer 1hr- 3hrs lost if person does not show
4.2 and 4.3 I wouldn't bother with-why not just issue item when user arrives-if they don't show we have to keep going up and down to RL shelves
Issue with a slip aka blue Special loans one?"

Nerthus said...

I agree that 3 hours would be too long for a superviser. I envisaged arranging hand overs between team members so the 3 hours was covered. However, we could publish hourly slots and offer a max of 2 consecutive slots??? - no return within one hour??

Nerthus said...

Re: Issuing as RL (I relise my para numbers went wrong). My idea was that any of the Enquiry Desk people could do the issuing to the user when they are there and we would not need to be involved other than in returning the item to the collection, they can do this from anywhere they choose as long as they dont lose sight of the book and the item until it is isued to them. The blue slip isnt useful for that reason and the lack of reliable tattle taping information.

This also gets round the dubious question of relieving users of their cards.

Re: Advance booking - agreed this may not be necesary unless demand requires.

loislane said...

Over a couple of hours is a very long time to sit in there especially with all committments we've got but I suppose some people (paticularly those who've come a long way to consult say the Livesey collection) will need to be provided for somehow.

(A phone in there would be useful to contact people if you get stuck in there)

I think anything that could be issued should be - particularly Local collection - simplest to be done through Rm 220 or enquiry desk. As all that needs to be done is change of status it is very easy.

I don't think we need to go through the booking procedure (Do people often request the same thing at the same time?)

However it still doesn't address problems of old, valuable, fragile stuff.....